Scholarships for Boy Scouts Attending Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan
The Northeast Illinois Council has been blessed with many Scouters, volunteers, and families who understand and appreciate the summer camp programs offered at Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan Scout Reservation.
These wonderful people know that we live in a time when finances can be greatly stretched, and it can be difficult to pay the summer camp fees (especially for families with more than one Scout). And they are aware that sudden financial hardships occur that could prohibit a Scout from attending one of these programs. Thanks to them, we now have three different scholarships for Scouts (from all councils) to choose from (one per Scout)! Contact Debi before registering Scout.
Boy Scout and Venture Crew Scholarship Application (CLICK HERE for the pdf form)
This scholarship will pay up to 50% of the Scout's camping fees (deadline is April 22nd)
- Scouts attending a week of camp with their Troop (will pay up to $150)
- Scouts attending as a "Provisional" camper with camp's "Ship 129", or with another Troop (will pay up to $150)
- Scouts attending NYLT (National Youth Leadership Training) (will pay up to $140)
- Scouts going on one of Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan's High Adventure Treks (will pay up to $200)
Richard W. Snorf Family Scholarship (No more available) - Up to 4 awarded per year
This scholarship will pay up to 75% of the Scout's camping fees (deadline is May 1st)
- Scouts attending a week of "Traditional" camp with their Troop (will pay up to $225)
- Scouts attending as a "Provisional" camper with camp's "Ship 129", or with another Troop (will pay up to $225)
- Scouts going on one of Ma-Ka-Ja-Wan's High Adventure Treks (will pay up to $225, possibly more)
Chris Alonzi Memorial Camp Scholarship (No more available) - Up to 5 awarded per year
This scholarship will pay the full amount of the Scout's camping fees (deadline is May 1st)
- Scouts attending a week of camp with their Troop (will pay up to $300)
- Scouts attending as a "Provisional" camper with our camp's "Ship 129", or with another Troop (pay up to $300)
- Registered member of your participating unit before we can accept the application.
- Active within the Unit
- Involved in Fundraising: List the amount of fundraising funds being used toward his camp fees on the application.
We will help cover a Scout’s Traditional (or Provisional) Camp Fee, or High Adventure Trek Fee
We will NOT cover: Transportation, In-camp High Adventure ("daytime" rafting trips, trail rides), or other camp fees.
Other camp related fees
Timeline for the Boy Scout and Venture Crew Scholarship Application:
- The family completes page 1 of the scholarship application, then turns it in their Unit's "summer camp contact"
- This Unit Leader reviews it (to make sure all questions have been answered), then completes page 2
- The Unit Leader turns in the completed form to our council office by APRIL 22, 2016. Receipt of the scholarship application will be confirmed.
- Once the Scout is added to the Unit's online registration (the appropriate deposit must be paid at that time), we can begin to process the scholarship application.
- Once approved, the Scout's scholarship amount will be applied as a credit directly toward that Scout's online fees. His Unit's "summer camp contact" will be able to see the fee adjustment online.
- The Unit's "summer camp contact" will also be emailed when the fee adjustment is completed (the family will also be emailed, when possible)
- Scouts will not incur any late fees, but we would still appreciate the remaining payment in a timely manner (by May 23rd, if possible). Contact Debi before registering Scouts who cannot meet the deadlines.
Timeline for Richard W. Snorf Family Scholarships and Chris Alonzi Memorial Camp Scholarships:
These are each a 1 page document, that is completed by the family and returned to the Northeast Illinois Council. Since they each have an annual limit of recipients, the donors may choose to wait before making their decisions, some time after May 1st (the deadline for us to receive them both). The Scout's family and his/her Troop/Crew Camp Contact will be notified of its receipt and will be kept updated on the status.
Return ALL Scholarship Applications To:
Address: Northeast Illinois Council, 2745 Skokie Valley Road, Highland Park, IL 60035
Email Debi if you have questions [Click for member's page], or send form to Debora.Geiger@scouting.org.
Fax: 847-433-2036 - The fax machine is right by Debi's desk, so she will get the form quickly.